FALLON FOOD HUB is a non-profit organization that is working to bring local food distribution to Fallon by building a regional food system for Fallon and surrounding rural communities.
It is our VISION to create a gathering place in the heart of our historic downtown which provides an outlet/market for local farmers, local small food producers, and an emerging value-added sector.
HOW THE Online MARKET WORKS
- Wednesday at 2 PM the online market closes.
- Thursday morning the farmers will deliver the products to the Fallon Food Hub for packaging.
- Friday at 8 AM your products will be available for pickup.
- The Fallon Food Hub will donate your perishable items to the Fallon Daily Bread if you forget to pick up your by 2 PM Saturday.
Why Buy Local?
- Buying local tastes better and is more nutritious
- Commercial produce is often a week old by the time it travels over 1,500 miles to get to supermarkets, often requiring preservatives.
- Commercial produce is sometimes picked too early, making fruit, for example, hard and tasteless.
- Locally grown food, on the other hand, is harvested at its peak in taste and nutrition for your immediate purchase.
- Many local farmers offer the unique and flavorful heirloom varieties of produce they sell.
- Buying local keeps the money in our community
- Commercial food profits go to a middleman or giant business outside our community and state, whereas buying local keeps the money cycling here in our community, helping it to grow and prosper.
- Buying fresh produce from local producers helps preserve local farms and our precious rural community.
- Buying local ensures a safe and secure food
- Getting to know our local food producers, their ethics, cultural heritage, and farming practices provides confidence in a safe supply of healthy food for our families.
- Buying from local farmers helps renew rural, small-scale agriculture in our communities and helps guarantee a consistent flow of healthy food year round.